INTRODUCTION TO TAIWAN'S LEGAL STATUS
ZIPCODES IN TAIWAN
The following listing of Zipcodes (postal codes) for localities in Taiwan has been compiled by the Taiwan Civil Government (TCG) for the reference of all concerned parties. This listing is different from other listings compiled by other organizations. The following considerations are particularly noteworthy:
- Spellings, for the most part, conform to the internationally recognized Hanyu Pinyin system. Some exceptions, or alternative spellings, are given for place names of long established usage.
- As per the specifications of the Taiwan Relations Act, 22 USC 3314 (2), the geographic scope has been limited to the islands of Formosa, the Pescadores, and other nearby (contiguous) islands. See Note #1.
- As of this writing (Aug. 2011), Zipcodes in Taiwan are five digits. See Note #2 for examples.
- In order to conform to the nine digit Zipcodes currently being used by the United States Postal Service, and in consideration that Taiwan's "country code" is 886, it is recommended that the prefix of 9886 be added to the current five digit Taiwanese postal codes. See Note #3.
- The TCG has separated Taiwan into Six States, however these administrative divisions do not affect the Zipcode numbering system.
- The following is a simplified list which only gives the first three digits for each Taiwanese locality.
1. Ilan Hualian Taidong State
2. Taipei State
3. Taichung State
4. Tainan State
5. Kaohsiung Penghu State
6. Aboriginal State
(Portions of above Zipcoded Areas)
Most Zipcode listings for Taiwan include the Mazu island group (aka Lianjiang County), Jinmen island group, Spratly island group, and Senkaku/Tiaoyutai island group. However this listing compiled by the TCG excludes these localities.
This is because these island groups do not form a part of the geographic entity of "Taiwan" as defined in the Taiwan Relations Act. See 22 USC 3314 (2)
Examples of some city/county headquarters are given as follows:
Miaoli County Government
No. 100 Xianfu Rd., Miaoli City, Miaoli County, 36001 Taiwan
Nantou County Government
No. 660 Zhongxing Rd., Nantou City, Nantou County, 54001 Taiwan
Tainan City Government
No. 6 Yonghua Rd., Sec.2, Tainan City, 70801 Taiwan
Under the current usage of Zipcodes in the United States, the Zipcode of 98860 designates Wilson Creek, Washington, and the Zipcode of 98862 designates Winthrop, Washington. Under TCG's proposal to add the prefix of 9886 to all Zipcodes in Taiwan, the Zipcodes for these two towns would have to be reassigned.